Want the absolute best results from your sunless session? Do this.
24 - 48 Hours Prior
Tanning for a special occasion or trip? Get your manis, pedis or facials done before you come see us.
Exfoliate. Exfoliation is the most important step to a successful airbrush tan. Exfoliate your skin all over with a washcloth or exfoliating glove. Don't forget your elbows, ankles, neck and underarms! We highly recommend the Dermasuri Mitt for the absolute best exfoliation. Dermasuris may be purchased from either RR location.
Shave, wax or remove any unwanted body hair.
Do not use any oil-based products. Oils can leave a film on your skin that can block the even absorption of the sunless tanning solution.
Drink lots of water. Keeping your skin hydrated from the inside out will help you retain color longer and will promote more even fading of your sunless tan.
The Day of Your Session
Be prepared! Pack or wear dark, loose fitting clothing. No denim, clothes that rub, etc. Chance for rain? Ensure you will be covered from head to toe as even a drop of water can ruin your new raydiant glow.
Do a warm water rinse to remove any sweat or body product residues. We do not recommend washing your hair or body with any products prior to your session as there is always a chance they could leave a barrier on your skin. Dove, Dial, Ivory or any "moisturizing" soaps or body washes are a definite no-no the day of your sunless session!
No lotions, oils, perfumes or body sprays at least eight hours prior. (If tanning in the evening, you may apply lotion in the morning.)
Ladies: Pack or wear dark colored undergarments or swimsuits. You may undress to your comfort level. Please note: if you are tanning for an occasion where you would prefer not to have a tan line up top, you may tan topless. If you do not feel comfortable going topless, you must bring an adhesive bra of some sort. We cannot work around strapless bra lines for backless tops or dresses.
Men: Wear dark boxers or briefs. Men MUST wear some sort of undergarment. No exceptions.
After Your Session
- Continue wearing your dark, loose fitting clothing for at least six to eight hours while your tan develops.
- Do not get wet for at least eight hours with a regular solution. This includes showers, exercise, swimming, saunas or any other activities that may get your skin wet or cause you to sweat. Also, do not wear tight fitting shoes, bras or sports bras during this time.
- When showering, only use your hands (no loofahs or exfoliants) and preferably a sulfate-free body wash or all natural soap for washing. Soaping only "the essentials" will help your tan last longer. Cooler water causes less exfoliation. Pat yourself dry with a towel post-shower. Do not rub!
- Keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water and by using natural products. No mineral oil, alpha hydroxy acids, petroleum, alcohol or exfoliating ingredients as they will strip your skin and fade your tan within a few days. To protect your spray tanning investment, we offer high-quality, naturally-based and paraben-free moisturizers and tan extenders in both travel and full sizes.
- Use sunscreen. Spray tanning does not in any way protect your skin from UV rays.
- When swimming, limit your time in the water to 10 to 15 minute increments, if possible. Pat or air dry after. Water is a natural exfoliant. Soaking for long periods of time will dramatically fade your tan. Use a waterproof sunscreen to help protect your skin from harsh pool chemicals and salt water on vacations. Use of a tan extender or our vacation pack is highly recommended to help keep your color through your trip.